Love puts the fun in together, the sad in apart, and the joy in a heart. ~Author Unknown

Friday, February 6, 2009

Listen to that still small voice

As women, we have highly developed intuition and instincts. As Church members, we are also blessed with the gift of that still small voice. It is vital that we listen. If we feel that something is not quite right, we should RUN. Don't try to rationalize or make excuses. Our first thoughts are usually correct and keep us safe.

What brings these things to my mind? A very creepy contact on Facebook. I've posted about Facebook several times on this blog. How weird it is to reconnect with people better left in the past. Well, now I think I have an almost stalker. The ex-fiance' of a roommate I haven't seen in at least 15 years contacted me to be his "friend". I was curious to see what had happened to him and responded with a friendly email. Right now, I know that you're thinking "uh, oh".

This man has some mementos of me that are really creepy for him to have after 15 years. I was really only the roommate and didn't know him that well. Yet, he kept a dollar I had written something on and carries it with him *still*. He sent me a photo of it. He also kept a photo of me & him and a letter I must have written with my address. It was probably just a Christmas card or something. Honestly, I don't remember any of these things.

Luckily for me he lives in a different country. Even more blessed is that I didn't give a city on Facebook, but only my state. I was also smart enough to let him assume I still live at the same house I lived in 15 years ago and about 5 addresses ago. I've gone and blocked him from seeing most things and have to figure out how to remove him from my friends list. He said he's been looking for me but couldn't remember my surname. Well, now that he has it, I wonder if I remove him from FB if it will prompt him to look for me elsewhere? Is it safer for him to assume that I still want to be friends by leaving him on FB?

I'm really creeped out by the whole thing. Apparently, he's tracked his ex-fiancee' all over the world in an attempt to get back together with her. They've been broken up for almost 15 years, I think. He really seems obsessed with her. She said that he becomes obsessed with things that interest him. I definitely want to avoid becoming one of those things!

5 comments:

Olive Kite said...

That is creepy. Very creepy.

Betty Edit said...

Now I will never use FB for sure.

I guess you could just leave him as a friend and then hopefully that'll discourage him from seeking further? I have no clue. I'll ask my people at work--they have experience with both Facebook and stalkers (oddly enough).

Alicia said...

Betty, you really are fantastic. :-) Good news is that I haven't been contacted by the stalker in a few days. Maybe he'll be distracted by someone else.

Betty Edit said...

I have concurred with my fellow employees, and they agree that it would probably be best to leave him on FB but don't encourage anything. They agree that if you remove him, he may be more provoked to seek further contact.

The security word I got for this comment was "bedinged". I think that's funny.

Alicia said...

Thank you! I still haven't heard from him and have no plans to seek contact. Maybe I'll be lucky and he'll find other "friends" to bug.