Love puts the fun in together, the sad in apart, and the joy in a heart. ~Author Unknown

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Letting go

It is amazing to me how lessons to be learned come in different forms at the same time. Today I learned a valuable lesson about letting go. I am listening to the book "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. He is the host of Clean Sweep. I have finished half the book, which is narrated by Mr. Walsh. So many things he said resonated with me. I just kept saying yes, yes, yes, that is so true! I realized how emotionally attached I am to things that have no real meaning or value for me. I have acquired possessions just because they belonged to deceased relatives. There are boxes and boxes of things. Parts of my house have become shrines to these deceased relatives. I realized that they had the choice to choose their furniture, dishes, linens, etc, but I had taken away that choice for myself. I think I have kept their things out of guilt. Or out of thinking that I might need it some day. I am now the fourth generation to own this "stuff" that hasn't been used by any of us.

This book has kindled an excitement to let go. To release these things out into the universe where they can be utilized by others. I am going to reclaim my space! The amazing thing? The universe wants me to do this. I have two dining room sets that have been gathering dust in my unfinished basement. I also have a kitchen dining set and another dining table in the living room. I had no use for the dining sets in the basement. I had determined to give the one set away. But as I was listening to the tape, I realized that I really wanted to give them both up. A few hours later, I got a call from a neighbor girl that is getting married soon. She and her fiance' came over to my house, loved one of the sets and came back later to pick it up. It was so freeing to let go of this table and 4 chairs. This young couple was thrilled to get it. Everyone wins! If you know of anyone else that needs a dining set, please let me know. :-)

The second chapter of this lesson came at a wedding reception tonight. I absolutely hate going to wedding receptions by myself, which is usually how I attend. My plan is to sign the book, to see the bride and groom and quietly slip out the door. I did see two couples that I knew so that I could sit with them for a bit. That wasn't the letting go part, though. I saw a guy that I had had a huge crush on. Seeing him was so freeing. He was much shorter than I remembered. (Okay, so I had on 2 inch heels that made me at least 6ft.) He was also with his tiny, petite blonde girlfriend. I realized then that I had never had a chance to date him. It wasn't that I somehow fell short in some category like beauty or intelligence. I simply wasn't born blonde or petite. I wasn't his type. Whether we admit it or not, we all have a type. It is nice to let that particular "what if" go from my life.

The most exciting part of embarking on this journey of letting go is that the space once occupied by inanimate things will be replaced with something better. I believe it will open space in my life for richer and more fulfilling relationships. A more peaceful environment at home will bring more peace into my life in general. Isn't that a thrilling prospect?

2 comments:

Betty Edit said...

Yahoo for you!

I decided to give up saving things I don't like or don't want or need, even if it's from someone special. Of course, I have to make sure that the special someone will never find out, but... everyone forgets eventually. Unless it's something huge and hideous, like a buffalo head or something. But then you can always say it was actually an erumpent horn and exploded.

But I digress. I just take a photo if I want to remember it. How much space does a digital photo take up? Practically none. Then I'll always remember it, and I don't feel guilty throwing it out.

I'm glad you are feeling more free.

Alicia said...

Betty, I admire that you are already able to do what I aspire to! You are right, just take a digital photo and let the space consuming object find another home.