This past week or so I have had a lot of extra time on my hands. Hence, the increase in blog entries. It's not that I lack things to do. I just lack the motivation or inspiration to do them. I have rediscovered a part of myself that I lose from time to time. Somewhere in my soul lurks a poet. She gets buried deep down inside and I have to be reminded to let her out to breathe. (Thanks Olive.) It's like a part of me is missing, but I haven't realized it until I start writing again.
A few weeks ago I was challenged to solve a riddle in a poem and write a poem in response that conveyed my understanding of the original riddle and included a new riddle of my own. I love a good challenge. That initial poem, and some timely encouragement, spawned a new poem, which led to others.
Poetry holds a mirror up to our emotions. It helps me understand myself. What my true feelings are, the ones that are hidden even from myself. It's the perfect way to express joy, sorrow, confusion, life. I find that I write for myself. The poems become too personal to share with others. It's like a window directly to the soul.
My poetry lets the sadness out. It allows the confusion, vulnerability, sorrow, disappointment, etc to escape from my soul so that joy and happiness can enter in. Once those emotions have escaped to paper, I am free.
I have also rediscovered how much I like other people's poetry. Mine is very concrete. Others write with amazing imagery. The images become almost tangible and the meaning is interpretive. It draws me in and lets me peek into their soul.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have appreciated your comments the last few posts. Very deep and thought provoking. Havent had a chance to read them until now. I like your new change in background too. It is very fun. :)
I'm glad you like the new blog background. That site has some fun ones. :-)
I love poetry too. It's such a wonderful release when nothing else works.
Post a Comment